Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kelly Maloney '06 - Getting ready for Pilot training!

Here is Visitation alumna Kelly Maloney, Class of 2006, in front of an F-15 after her familiarization flight. As a graduate of Embry-Riddle, Kelly is off to pilot training with the Air Force. She is making Visitation proud! If you have any questions for Kelly about Embry-Riddle, meteorology or the military, just ask your college counselor for her contact information.




What was your favorite class at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University?


My favorite class was TV Weathercasting in which you learn how to be like the meteorologists on the news. You learn to produce your own forecast and every day you get up in front of a green screen and camera to give your forecast. The studio is just like professional studios and your professor records quality videos of some of your forecasts to use for job interviews. In the advanced class you have the opportunity to record forecasts used on local radio and TV stations.

What was your major at Embry-Riddle?
I majored in Applied Meteorology with a concentration in Research Meteorology. I chose to do the Air Force ROTC program and I was selected to be a pilot. Embry-Riddle focuses on aeronautics such as aviation (pilots, air traffic control, etc.), aerospace engineering, meteorology, safety science, homeland security, etc. ROTC is very common at my school, but the majority of students are not military.

What are your plans for next year?
I just arrived at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi a few weeks ago and am waiting to start Undergraduate Pilot Training. Pilot training lasts for about a year and I will not find out what aircraft I will be flying until the end. It is decided by what aircraft are available and how well I do in my class.

When you were a senior at Visitation, did you know this would be your path or did you change your major during your four years?
I had no idea this is what I wanted to do until senior year when I first was introduced to the school and the thought of being an Air Force pilot. I decided at the end of my senior year to try it out and see if I liked it. Luckily, I LOVED everything about flying and the Air Force so it was a perfect fit.

What is your favorite Embry-Riddle memory?
My best memory is what AFROTC calls “Big Week”. During this week Headquarters releases the names of those selected for pilot training which is extremely competitive. Everyone in AFROTC gathers into the auditorium cheering as loud as they can and the Colonel announces the pilot selects one at a time. When he called my name it was the best moment of my life thus far. As I tried to make it down the stairs to accept and salute the Colonel, everyone stood up to cheer me on, congratulate me, and hug me, because they understood that it was the moment that I worked so hard for and that my dreams finally came true.

What is there to do on the weekend?
Embry-Riddle is in Daytona Beach so of course everyone goes to the beach which is warm enough almost year-round. It’s nice to get a group together to play volleyball on the beach and grill out.

Many of the students have their private pilot license so you can just rent a plane, go flying, and maybe grab lunch at a small airport nearby.
One of the close airports is world famous for skydiving so if you are up for even more adventure, join the skydiving club on campus and get discounts when you skydive.

There are also a lot of big events hosted in Daytona every year like Biktoberfest, Bike Week, the Daytona 500, the Rolex 24, the Wings and Waves Airshow hosted by our school, and of course the visiting spring breakers during March and April.

Were there any resources on campus that advised you about the possibilities after college?
My school has a really good career center with lots of opportunities on campus such as career expos twice a year, help with resumes, and job interview practice. I never used any of the services because I was contracted with the Air Force, but I know that most companies try to hire Embry-Riddle students because our school is renowned for our specialty in aeronautics.

Do you have any tips for current seniors about keeping things in perspective? Any advice you would offer from your current self to your 17 year old self about to apply to college?
Just make sure the school you pick is a place where you will be challenged and will fit your personality. Don’t just pick a school because of the name or because that is where everyone else wants to go/is going. Oh and just remember that you have a leg up on everyone else because Visitation taught you how to manage your time and how to write without sounding like a fifth grader – most college graduates don’t have either of these skills.



Filed by KMH

No comments:

Post a Comment