Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Quick Question

I LOVE quick questions. I think my favorite is, "What is Visitation's CEEB code?" The best part of being a counselor -the whole raison d'etre for most of us in the counseling profession really - is to be helpful. We try to be available to you as much as possible in person and via email - and, starting this year, via the blog and twitter. But! This is my ninth year and somewhere along the line - I can't put my finger on when, exactly - I noticed that there were fewer students in my doorway and more students in my inbox. Don't get me wrong; I'm all for efficiency but there are some questions that are best answered and discussed the old fashioned way. Such as...


1) When should I take my SAT/ACT/Subject Tests this fall?

2) Which tests should I send to my colleges?

3) Could you look at my list and tell me my chances?

4) I'm having FILL IN THE BLANK issue with my Common Application. What should I do? (Since we can't see exactly what you are looking at when you are logged in to your Common App account, we prefer that you stop in and log in to your account with us so we can look at it together).

5) Can I drop Calculus?

It IS lovely to communicate the following over email:

1) Can I meet you third period tomorrow?

2) Here is my essay - could you take a look? (NOTE: when you email an essay draft, please then make an appointment to discuss it. It's really hard to give email feedback on essays.)

3) I visited X college and this is what I thought:

4) I GOT INTO COLLEGE!!!!

5) Your thoughts on Sue Sylevester's latest antics.

We'll have our calendars posted on the first day of school and, while Fennessey may seem off the beaten path, we hope to see you early and often this fall!

Published by TSM

No comments:

Post a Comment