Thursday, September 2, 2010

Aisle 9 with Molly Smith '06

During a recent trip to the grocery store, as I was headed down the pasta aisle, I ran into no other than recent Visi alumna, member of the Class of 2006, all around superstar, Molly Smith! While Molly was just trying to pick up a few staples, she ended being harrassed by her former Class Counselor about her recent graduation from Notre Dame and plans for grad school this fall. While at Visi, Molly was truly gifted at keeping things in perspective and finding balance between academic pursuits and having a life. Here are some of her words of wisdom...

What was your favorite class at Notre Dame?
I can't pick just one! My favorite class in my major was Introduction to Chemical Principles. It was my first semester, incredibly difficult, but it had the most amazing professor with a really innovative teaching style. I really felt engaged and challenged. My other favorite was Beginning Intensive German. I took it on a whim and ended up studying in Austria the very next summer! I loved being in a class of only nine students and forced to speak only German in class from day two on. The camaraderie one finds in beginning language classes is unimaginable.

What is your favorite Notre Dame memory?
Junior Parent Weekend. It bridges the gap between your home life and your school life. Afterwards your parents finally "get it" when you talk about why you love Notre Dame so much and why you can't wait for summer to be over so you can go back to school.

If you are not a Notre Dame football fan (implausible, I know!), is there anything else to do in on the weekend?
I've definitely had friends who were not fans and didn't buy tickets, but you kind of have to embrace football weekends if you choose to go to ND. It's a mad house; some even call it "Catholic Disney World'. So, if you don't get swept up in the football frenzy, or even just spend some time hanging out with friends in the student section, you have to actively try to avoid football and avoid the crowds that come with it.

What was your major at Notre Dame?
Chemistry!!!

When you were a senior at Visitation, did you know this would be your path or did you change your major during your four years?
I knew I wanted to be a chemistry major after my first high school chemistry class. My major never changed.

We have 8 students from the Class of 2010 attending Notre Dame next year, what do you think makes ND such a good match for Visitation students?
I think it is a strong academic and spiritual fit for Visi girls. The communities at Visitation and ND are so strong knit and you always feel supported and challenged. Besides the weather, there is very little "culture shock" when transitioning from Visitation to ND, in my opinion.

What are your plans for next year?
I am at Johns Hopkins University pursing a Ph.D. in Chemistry.

Were there any resources on campus that advised you about the possibilities after college?
The Career Center at ND is immensely helpful for jobs, internships and resume support. In the sciences, however, it helped to develop relationships with the chemistry professors to help decide on graduate work.

Do you have any tips for current seniors about keeping things in perspective? Any advice you would offer from your current self to your 17 year old self about to apply to college?
Not every grade matters. Try your best, but if you spend 100 percent of the time working you will burn out quickly. I would remind younger-me to find at least one non-academic activity, club, service or social group that you can spend time doing to de-stress and to find it sooner rather than later. It wasn't until sophomore year that I found out how to destress. By my senior year, I somehow ended up president of the improv comedy group on campus and met some of my best friends doing it. I just wish I had started from the beginning.

Published by KMH

No comments:

Post a Comment