Friday, September 17, 2010

Interview with Faith Cerny (2008) about UVA's School of Architecture



Thanks to Faith for her thoughtful answers and advice! If you'd like to contact her for more information, just ask your college counselor.



Why I chose UVA:
I was actually reluctant to apply here because everyone from Visitation seems to go to/apply to UVA. But if it seems to have everything you want, you can't overlook that. After 12 years of Catholic schooling I wanted public; after four years of all-girls I needed co-ed; I wanted a school that had frats and a football team--basically I was looking for "the college experience." A little cliche, but it's the truth. Also, the fact that I knew I wanted to study architecture made my decision much easier, as it narrowed down the list of potential schools. Proximity to home was never really a factor, but I'm glad UVA is so close; being able to drive to school makes things so much easier, yet it still feels like a different world than DC.

What I like about UVA:
The stereotype of UVa is that it's a "work-hard, play-hard" school; for me that is completely true. After developing such a rigorous work ethic at Visitation (whether you like it or not (or believe it or not), you did develop one), I know I couldn't be at a school that didn't keep me engaged academically. However; on the note of "play hard," definitely bring those old halloween costumes and tye-dye tanks to UVa, because if you want it to, the party scene will surely meet your expectations. I am never bored here, because 1. it's too big for me to be bored, and 2. most everyone wants to make every hour in the day worth it-- most people are go-getters here. There are tons of ways to get involved (seriously, it's awesome to be part of a school that's big enough to give you options). I love the size-- small enough to walk to class and see someone you know, yet big enough to remain anonymous. If you get involved in clubs or greek life, you can definitely make UVA a smaller school and more manageable. Student self-governance here is awesome; students seem to be in charge of everything. It's super easy to start your own club, intramural sports team, etc. I definitely feel in control of my life and education here. I don't find UVa to be cutthroat, or too competitive of an environment, though it's easy to surround yourself with self-motivated workers who are inspiring rather than intimidating. Also, Charlottesville is an awesome area-- tons of outdoorsy things to do, eclectic shopping/eating at the downtown mall.

College is better than high school because:
More options, more opportunity, more independence. In high school I felt like there was a set track for students-- the curriculum was pretty set with limited opportunity for electives. I wanted to do art but was pushed into AP psychology because I was told an AP science would look better when applying to colleges than an art class would. After school you played your sport or did theater and that was it. Life was pretty stable, unvarying, familiar. In college your life can change dramatically from year to year, or even between semesters, depending on the direction you take for your major, the clubs you get involved in, the amount of volunteering you do, your level of participation in the Greek scene, etc. You are your own boss--there is no set track you have to move along. You are no longer doing things to put on your resume, you are doing things because you want to do them.

But I miss ___________ about Visi.
Being able to walk around the campus and wave at every single person. Wearing a faded, torn polo shirt that looked horrible but was so comfortable. Being close with your teachers. Feeling like I could control the discussion in a classroom. Being on sports teams/sports in general. Hanging out with the same people all the time and consequently, developing really close friendships. Sometimes this closeness can be stifling, however, which is what I like about college, and the distance it allows. I also miss going to school in Georgetown, but hey, that's a pretty unique experience that would be hard to replicate in college.

Classes I am taking next semester:
Since I'm in the architecture school, third year there is a set curriculum (which is ok because I had plenty of opportunity to take electives the past two years). This semester I am taking Intro to Architectural Design I (a.k.a. studio), which constitutes the bulk of my work, Architectural Theory and Ethics, a CAAD (computer-aided architectural design) class (3-D modeling and visualization), and Systems, Sites & Buildings.

Favorite place on campus:
I mean, the lawn is iconic of UVA and a lot of things happen there (acapella concerts, picnics, tailgating, streaking, etc.), but my favorite places would have to be the Corner, Rugby Road (where the frat houses are), O'hill dining hall on Saturday morning (the brunch is awesome), west range cafe/anywhere that serves coffee. Too many places to name.

Stuff to do off campus:
Shopping at the downtown mall (mostly boutique-type stores, there's an Urban Outfitters too), eating out at the downtown mall (my fav spots are the mudhouse coffee shop and sweet frog, which is an awesome frozen yogurt place), ice skating at the downtown mall (everything at the downtown mall is a free trolley ride away), seeing movies, lots of concerts at JPJ arena (Lady Gaga just performed there) and at the Pavilion, among other places, drive down route 29 for Red Lobster, Target, things of that nature, go to Barracks shopping center for your groceries, barnes and noble, chipotle, etc., sports games (UVA is awesome at just about every sport except the ones people watch on tv haha), eating/shopping along the Corner is a daily activity (the dumpling store is a must, arches, bodos bagels, little johns, the white spot, boylan (best burgers), the Virginian, etc etc. shop at duo and finch. Outdoorsy activities are popular too, such as apple picking at Carter's mountain, hiking (humpback is a popular lookout point), blue hole is awesome (hike 30 minutes to a water hole where you swing off a rope off the rocks into the water), the quarry, which i think is a 50ish foot jump off a cliff into the water, tubing along the James River is awesome, whitewater rafting, camping (might go next weekend). Wintergreen is 45 minutes away I think, so tubing/skiing there is popular in the winter.

What do you wear to class?
Usually jeans and a top that's nicer than a t-shirt, nice boots/flats/flip-flops/sandals, maybe a cute jacket. Or if you're feeling a little lazy you could go for the athletic look--sneakers, running shorts, t-shirt (but still look decent). No one wears pajamas/sweats to class really. People usually dress pretty well. The funniest thing is when the weather hits about 60 degrees after the winter months, and every girl seems to whip out that summer dress. I am always surprised that people in the architecture school look as nice as they do, considering most of them get about 4 hours of sleep a night.

Best and worst thing about having boys around:
Best is that they're around. It just feels right, natural. No more recycling guys among your group of friends like you did in high school! However, you'll notice as you get older that your social circles get smaller and you'll start to see the same faces around. Worst thing would be the fact that your appearance does matter, I guess? Though I tend to feel better about myself when I shower and make a little bit of an effort to look decent haha. Honestly I can't think of any "worst thing."

Anything else you think the girls should know or we should have asked:
Just general notes about applying to colleges:

1. take the application process seriously. It's worth putting in the time and effort if you're rewarded with admittance to an awesome college that is right for you in the end.
2. try to figure out what you might want to be when you grow up. Lots of people don't know, even in college, what they're really interested in studying. I've had friends here who didn't really know what to do because they had realized what they want to study, only to find that UVA didn't have the program.
3. take a breath, hang out with your best friend, enjoy Visitation and Georgetown and senior year. You'll make the most of wherever you end up and have a awesome time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment