Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Interview With Lizzy Wells '09


Why did you choose the University of St Andrews?
Growing up, I spent significant amounts of time visiting family in the UK so it became my home away from home. I always knew that I wanted to go to go to school in the UK and when I visited St Andrews, I loved it immediately. St Andrews is located right on the coast--I love cold weather and the beach so it’s the perfect combination!

What do you like about St Andrews?
Although a lot of people assume that Scotland is always rainy and cold, I have found that not to be entirely true. St Andrews can be very cold and windy, but the weather can still be really sunny. I love having friends from countries all over the world, including Russia, Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, and of course the United States. I also love the quaintness of St Andrews. Although the town is small, it has everything you would ever look for in a university town.

What is it like to study abroad?
I absolutely love studying abroad because I have had the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and learn a little about their own cultures. In addition, my professors are also from a variety of countries throughout the world. Studying abroad in the UK also allows me to do a lot of traveling in Europe during various breaks and holidays.

What classes are you taking next semester?
At St Andrews, when you apply, you apply for a specific major. In your first and second years, you take 3 classes: one being your major and then any other two courses of your choice. For example, this semester I will be taking International Relations, which is my major, Modern History, and Philosophy. Most classes will consist of a few lectures a week and a tutorial group.

What is your favorite place on campus?
I think it’s hard to pinpoint a favorite place in St Andrews, but one of the places I really enjoy is the edge of the pier. The pier juts out into the North Sea and is next to one of the three beaches in St Andrews called East Sands. Even when it is cold, there are always people on the beach!

What sort of things are there to do off campus?
St Andrews doesn’t really have a campus, but rather the entire town is the campus. All the university buildings are spread out throughout the town. For example, the Student Union is right across the street from The Raisin, a pub that many students go to. The Vic, another pub, is down the street from The Raisin where people can order food and drinks and go dancing. There are also loads of other restaurants, pubs, and places to go out in the evening.

What do you wear to class?
St Andrews students get pretty dressed up for class. On a typical day, I usually wear jeans, a nice sweater, and flats or boots. I have rarely ever seen anyone wear a sweatshirt to class…and most definitely never seen anyone wear sweatpants.


Anything else you want Visi girls to know about St Andrews?
The University of St Andrews was founded in 1413 so it’s rich with tradition. Some of the more recent traditions include the Academic Family, which is a little like the Big Sister Little Sister program at Visitation, the Foam Fight on Raisin Sunday, Pier Walks in the traditional red gown, and the May Dip, in which students swim in the North Sea at dawn.

Published by TSM

No comments:

Post a Comment