Monday, October 11, 2010

Are You Filling Out The Common App RIGHT NOW?

From the emails coming in this weekend it seems like a many of you have spent some quality time with the Common Application website this weekend! I have been chained to my laptop as well - writing recommendation letters, filling out forms, and answering many of the same questions about filling out the Common Application over and over again. Hopefully you will have more time to work on applications, essays, and homework this Wednesday while the juniors are taking the PSAT (aren't you glad to have THAT behind you?!). In the meantime, here is a summary of some of the FAQ's from the weekend.

How many seniors are in the Class of 2011? 120

Is my GPA weighted? Yes! Is there an unweighted GPA to report? No! Really? Really.

What is my class rank? GVPS does not rank.

But if I have been given an award that recognizes the top 20% of my class, can't I just list my class rank as Top 20%? GVPS does not rank - you should list awards in the section of the application that asks about Honors and Awards.

What is Visitation's school code? 090080

What is your title/phone extension/fax? It's listed under my signature in any email I have ever sent you.

Should I attach my resume to the end of the application? Maybe. There are differing opinions about this but I usually recommend not uploading a resume if it's mostly a repeat of what you've listed on the Common App activities grid. For example, if you've already listed your four year commitment to field hockey, lacrosse, and club ice hockey, there's really no need to tell them again on your resume. However, if there are activities that didn't quite "fit" the template provided for activities (service projects, Gold/White leadership, research at NIH, leading a session during Diversity Week would be good examples of activities that are difficult to format into the grid) it might be useful to use the extra space for that purpose.

My four year old asked me this weekend why I have been so grumpy. All I can say is...it's October. Hopefully you have been nicer to your family than I have!

Published by TSM

No comments:

Post a Comment