Monday, October 18, 2010

Cami Thompson's Take on Holy Cross

Cami Thompson is a graduate from the Class of 2008. As a student-athlete, she learned to balance her time well at Visitation and has continued to find that same success in college! Here's what she has to say about classes and lacrosse at College of the Holy Cross...

Why I chose Holy Cross:

Academically I was looking for a school that had some of my favorite aspects of Visitation: a close-knit community, dedicated teachers, and small class sizes. It was also perfect for me because I wanted to play lacrosse in college and Holy Cross had the great combination of a
Division I athletic program and small liberal arts college. I fell in love with the campus when I visited and saw that everyone worked very hard, but was still having a fun college experience.

What I like about Holy Cross:

One of the best parts are the people because they are genuinely happy to be at Holy Cross and like being involved in different aspects of the community. There aren’t any teaching assistants and every professor knows you by name and is happy to meet with you outside of class. I am able to reap the advantages of attending a small school (just under 3000 students) whether walking around campus where I constantly see familiar faces or in class when everyone can be involved in discussions, but there are enough people that it doesn't become boring. While I have heard great stories about Greek life from my friends at other colleges, I like that we don’t have sororities or fraternities at Holy Cross. Even without frathouses there are always plenty of house parties walking distance from the dorms. A lot revolves around sports teams that have parties at their houses orother seniors that open their houses to most underclassmen.

College is better than high school because:

You get to live with you best friends and you are around people your age 24/7. There is an added dimension to relationships because your friends become your family too. The dorms also allow you to meet and befriend people with different interests.

But I miss... the camaraderie and school spirit from Visi. We had a shared experience that we could commiserate or celebrate together, but everyone in college is taking a different path.

Classes I am taking next semester:

I am spending a year abroad at Oxford University in a Politics, Philosphy, and Economics program so the classes will be a bit different. They have trimesters based on one on one meetings with professors or“tutors” and lots of independent reading/research. I will be taking
a Microeconomics course and Ethics tutorial for the first trimester. It will bequite a change but I am looking forward to focusing on just 2 classes at a time.

Favorite place on campus:

Besides the dorms probably Kimball dining hall. It is a great place to run into people and unlike the library or walks to class you can actually take the time to talk and catch up. It's great for a quick bite, last minute studying, or other times my friends and I will realize that we justspent 2 hours at a weekend brunch reliving the previous night's events.

Stuff to do off campus

There is the Auburn mall and BlackstoneValley which have all of the restaurants, movie theaters, and shops you would need. The Salvation Army and Forever 21 also come in handy for themed parties. I have always found plenty to do at Holy Cross, but on weekends the school offers free transportation to Boston and Providence which are both less than an hour away. Corner Grill is a great pizza place, 111 Chop House has amazing steak, and Takara is a fun Japanese restaurant to go to with a group of friends. The Salty Dog Saloon is fun for going out on weeknights and there are lot of places in Worcester that let students 18+ in so there are many off campus options even for freshmen.

What do you wear to class?

There are definitely days that I miss the Visitation uniform, but luckily with lacrosse I have an excuse to wear sweats when I haveto go straight from class to practice. Otherwise I attempt to wear jeans and a casual top. On the few days it warms up it’s fun to pull out the dresses.

Best and worst thing about having boys around:

Boys add a different perspective and sometimes look at a topic in a way that I never imagined. I also like studying with them because they don’t seem to let the stress affect them as much and just get the workdone as efficiently as possible so they have time to have fun. Girls do act differently in class when boys are around.

Thanks to Cami for taking the time to answer our questions!

Published by KMH

No comments:

Post a Comment