Friday, January 20, 2012

Curve Ball Interview Questions

One of my seniors just filled me in on her recent Nightmare College Interview. As opposed to the usual questions about current events, favorite books and hobbies, the interviewer asked:

"If you could be any kitchen utensil, what would you be?" and

"If could destroy one thing in the world but save another, what would they be?"

Um.

I'm just wondering about the interviewer's intent here. To torture a 17 year old who is already dealing with the roller coaster of the college admissions process? To add more pressure to the process by asking odd questions? To watch someone think on her feet?

It sounds like things went as well as they could possibly go given the circumstances and I'm proud of the student for holding her own and getting through what sounds like a tortuous 30 minutes. Of course it's easy to come up with witty responses to these kinds of questions when you have some time on your hands, but I cannot imagine it's much fun in the moment.

I think I'd like to fancy myself as an old school Mr. Coffee machine. A reliable device that everyone is happy to see first thing in the morning - not fancy like an espresso maker, but good at what I do and trustworthy. A coffee maker is an appliance rather than a utensil though, so that's probably not a very impressive answer.

I might like to destroy the SAT but save the college essay.

Published by TSM

No comments:

Post a Comment