Thursday, January 19, 2012

If You Are Deferred!

It's the news that nobody wants to get. You are not accepted, but you are not denied. If you are in deferral limbo and wondering what to do, here are a few tips.
  • Pay attention to what the college has asked of you. Some schools provide advice for deferred candidates. If a school recommends sending an extra of letter of recommendation, do so. If they indicate that they only want you first semester grades, do not bombard them with extra paper!
  • It's never a bad idea to write a letter or an email (the format depends on the school - ask your college counselor) that provides updates to your application since you sent it in back in the fall and reaffirms your interest in the school. Your letter need not be long - one paragraph is fine- but it should be thoughtful and sincere.
Here is an example:
Dear Ms. Admission Officer,
While I am disappointed that I have been deferred from First Choice School, I continue to be extremely interested in attending next fall. Since I applied in November, I finished a winning season with my field hockey team (we won the Independent School League Championship!) and my varsity basketball season has begun. I just finished up mid-semester exams and I've earned my highest GPA (a 3.7) to date. My favorite classes continue to be AP Literature (we have finished our study of Anna Karenina and are moving on to Beowulf) and AP French. While my Calculus class is challenging and math has never been my strongest subject, I am enjoying derivatives much more than limits and functions! I have applied for summer internships at the National Gallery of Art and National Geographic and plan to continue with my summer swim team as well if time permits.

I sincerely hope to receive an offer of admission from First Choice School in the spring and will definitely attend if offered admission. First Choice School has been my first choice since I walked through the green gates during my tour. Thank you for considering my application and I will be counting the days until April 1.
Sincerely,
Visi Girl
Published by TSM

No comments:

Post a Comment